Gambling is defined as
Any activity where a person risks an item of value, such as money or jewellery, on the outcome of an event that is determined mostly by chance.
Social Gambling is...
Social Gambling is
- Gambling for fun with friends and/or family
- Gambling within means
- Gambling infrequently or during special occasions, with the ability to stop anytime
- Gambling without causing harm to self and/or family
Why do People Gamble?
People tend to gamble for different reasons. Some of these reasons include:
- For entertainment
- To kill time
- As a social activity with friends or family
- As a means of making money
- As a means to escape personal problems or to relieve feelings of anxiety, depression, anger, or loneliness
Types of Gambling in Singapore
There are many types of legalised gambling in Singapore.
- Casino Gambling
- 4D, Toto, Singapore Sweep
- Sports Betting
- Horse Racing
Other types of gambling include:
- Cruise Ship Gambling
- Online Gambling
Gambling Myths and Truths
Many people think that
- Gambling is an easy way to make money
- The outcome of the game can be predicted or controlled
- The likelihood of winning is higher if you gamble more
- Performing certain rituals or owning special objects will improve chances of winning
- A “near-win” is a sign that a win is just around the corner